Wisconsin officials announced Oct. 24 that the Trump administration had rejected state and local requests for federal assistance for repairs to public infrastructure and facilities that were damaged by widespread flooding in the Milwaukee area in August.
Several communities in the region, including Wauwatosa, had been waiting for the update before proceeding with repairs to their flood-damaged publicly owned properties. The news from the Trump administration was greeted with frustration and disappointment.
“Denying federal assistance doesn’t just delay recovery, it sends a message to our communities that they are on their own, and that the Trump administration doesn't think over $26 million in damages to public infrastructure is worthy of their help. I couldn't disagree more,” Gov. Tony Evers said in a news release. “We are hopeful that the Trump Administration will reconsider this decision, so we can make sure folks have the resources and support they need.”
The presidential decision on public aid does not affect aid directly to homeowners through the Federal Emergency Management Agency. That aid was authorized in September, and thousands of households in the region quickly applied.
"FEMA has distributed over $123 million in financial assistance to Milwaukee County residents so they can repair their homes and take a major step toward normalcy. I’ve commended the Trump administration for delivering this federal funding to our residents and businesses – because there is no room for politics in the aftermath of a natural disaster," Milwaukee County Executive David Crowley said in an Oct. 24 statement.
But he warned that local governments also face sizable burdens in recovering from the August flooding, repairing roads, parks and public buildings.
“The decision from the Trump administration to deny the state’s request for public assistance is extremely disappointing," Crowley said. "The preliminary damage assessment showed that the damage sustained throughout all six counties is more than substantial. Without this federal assistance, Milwaukee County is left footing the bill to repair an assessed $22 million in public infrastructure."
Wauwatosa initially estimated sustaining about $9 million in damage to publicly owned property in the city. At a Sept. 23 committee meeting Wauwatosa Finance Director John Ruggini provided an update, saying net expense to the city from the flood damage likely will be $4.2 million, much of it at Hart Park.
If FEMA aid doesn't offset some of that, Ruggini said at the time, the city’s backup plan would be to cover about half of that cost by drawing from a reserve fund.